i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Who's a Lucky Little Knitter??

I'm a lucky little knitter. I hinted "gently" that there were a few knitting items I could use for my birthday. And man did people listen. They listened so well I may not be leaving the house again for quite some time, because I have sweaters to knit, knitting books to read...and possibly the most exciting of all-I have this:

It seems JFC picked up on my "subtle" hints loud and clear because he snuck home this beautiful spinning wheel. I mean, talk about EXCITING. I am going to spin yarn! Thats right folks, I am going to be spinning, dying, knitting...watch out world cause Drea Renee has arrived armed and ready for action. (I just need to learn how to use it..heh heh)

Now one of the things that I really admire about JFC is his love of all things with character...things with a bit of history to them. He doesn't just go buy any ol' spinning wheel. He finds one with a remarkable story to go along with it.

As you can read on the bottom of the "Lazy Kate", this particular wheel was made in 1972 by John Gibson out of native New Zealand wood (we think Remu) that had washed up on the beach in Seatoun, Wellington. The woman who sold it to us is the one who bought it in 1997, and now we purchased it from her in 2006. Justin added on our purchase so we can keep the history of this wheel going. I just think that is so fun. I think I will name her Meewi...why you may ask?? Basically just because I like to say "meeeewiii" in a highpitched voice and this gives me more opportunity to do just that. heh heh

Now last but definitely not least, I've also received one more knitting book from my big brother Aaron and his family:

Elizabeth Zimmerman is a knitting icon and I am very excited to have Knitting Around added to my collection.

So if you all don't here from me for a bit...well I am sure you can understand why...I have some homework to do, and its one heck of a big load.
By the way...I have been knitting as well...just a bit distractedly so it is slow going. I am currently working on the Bubble Pullover from Knitting Nature and it is coming along just swimmingly!

5 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Awesome wheel and what a great guy!

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday from your mama, fun talking to you yesterday, and the spinning wheel if fabulous. Love you too much

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Such a pretty wheel. I'm sure there are online tutorials somewhere... You'll be spinning in no time.

Happy birthday!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger LinknKnits said...

Such good loot! Hmmm... my b-day is in about a month... maybe I should start dropping some major hints now!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Sounds like a great present. I love the idea of imprinting the item with its own history. That's so cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home