i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Do It like Your Grandma Taught You...

I am so lucky. My grandma taught me and my best friend Meredith how to bake her homemade bread shortly before christmas time. And let me tell you "grandma's Homemade bread" is so so so yummy.

So yesterday I finally kicked my butt into gear (after I found out my Meredith was already on her 3rd rising and about to get hers in the oven!) and I went out bought some bread pans, lots of flour and yeast and got to work. Now I have to admit, I think I am going to need a lot more practice. My first attempt at kneading was met with sticky dough covering my hands and the quick addition of extra flour.


But I loved every step. Watching the yeast activate, getting covered in flour, and coming back every half hour to see that the dough has doubled in size. Very satisfying.



And nothing can compare to the smell of freshly baked bread tickling your nose as you eagerly wait for it to cool so you can cut off that first slice. Much to my glee (and relief) it turned out! And luckily it made 4 loaves because my mom came home with her friends and they polished off a whole loaf within minutes. Talk about an ego boost.



I had someone ask about my labels. The ones tied to the package are just printed on heavy card stock. The cloth labels I sewed on the inside I made myself with a little help from our friend the iron-on transfer! Adding that personal touch is way worth the extra bit of effort.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger Saskia said...

I luuurrv home made bread. I love everything home made for that matter... We have a breadmachine and although it's not a fun project to do, it's quick and it beats any store bought bread! Enjoy baking!

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to see you back...daaad

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sabrina Hirsch said...

Oh Andrea, you are too cool with your yummy looking bread, nice work!
cheers,
Sabrina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home