i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Women and Jeans (and maybe men too??)

First things first...I just want to say thanks for everyone that left comments on my blog the other day. I was feeling a bit blue and all of those kind and encouraging words really helped to bring my color back around to a nice warm green (green's my favorite...don't ask). So thank you.

On to important things...and since I can't talk about the knitting that is taking up all of my time...i will talk about jeans. Buying jeans is a chore. A special chore. Because if it turns out well...it isn't like a chore at all, but if it doesn't...well then the world comes crumbling down and most ladies I know sink into a mini depression. I buy a pair of jeans once a year. That is usually all I can handle (and most times all i can afford..heh heh) Now if you are reading this and going "what is she rambling on about?? I LOVE buying jeans" then you are probably shaped like the manequins that they drape the fancy jeans on in the store windows...and read no more. If you are reading this and thinking "Who cares...my wife/girlfriend/mom buys my jeans for me from Old Navy...don't even need to try them on" then are you probably male in gender, and it just isn't that difficult to find jeans to fit your no hips simple straight man figure...and read no more.

For everyone left...I'm thinking you can feel my pain. Jeans are the most difficult item of clothing for me to find. Oh sure...there are plenty of pairs out on offer...but to actually have them fit. And I mean really fit. Hug the right places...don't pinch the bad places. Ya know? We should really just be assigned our own individual jean maker at birth. They can travel thru life with us, constructing jeans to perfectly fit our bodies as the fashions change, as we lose 5 pounds...then gain 10...then lose 12...and so on. My personal dilemma?? Well some women are pear shaped...some boy shaped...some "curves in all the right places" shaped...me?? I'm "perma-pregnant" shaped. No...there is no bun in the oven....and there never has been...but for some reason, for as long as i can remember, I have always had a round tummy (i tend to believe i have yet to lose my baby fat) but thinner arms and legs. Now as far as I can tell when I am shopping for jeans..every other person in the world (besides the mannequin shaped ones) have the opposite problem...tiny flat waist...big legs. Because all jeans are huge in the legs and tight on the stomach. Now this is not flattering...this means, my tummy gets pinched over the tight waste of the jeans and my legs look twice as big because there is twice as much fabric as necessary for my legs.

(read: it just struck me i should probably just be shopping at maternity stores...hmmm)

Anyways, if you couldn't tell I went jeans shopping today. the first store that i tried is called "just jeans"...yeah well just jeans my back end...because they had about 3 different brands in 2 different styles...wide leg or so low you better not wear underwear.
I left feeling the need to urgently go on a diet and never try on jeans again...

but then by some lucky chance i stopped in "just one more store". Tried on 2 pairs...and much to my glee...they both fit! So to make a short story long :) i bought 2 pairs of jeans today. And so shouldn't be complaining...I just thought some of you would be able to feel me on the drama of denim. Now to push it to the back of my mind until next year.

4 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Saskia said...

"our own individual jean maker at birth"--> that would make such a great gift to pregnant friends & family ...hehehe

I'm fully curved in all the right places, and some more... Oh, ok... I'm a big girl! I have to say I have bought some maternity items at Hennes before just because they really flatter my figure. Hey, as long as I look great, right?! I'm not embarassed (ok, maybe a little...)

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I can't stand jean shopping for that reason. Actually, I can't remember the last time I bought a pair of NEW jeans. I'd just assume skip the whole process of trying on all those jeans, and wait for second-hand ones from my sister or go to a thrift store. That's just me tho... I'm happy to hear you found the right ones! Keep that style and size in mind so you have a great place to start looking next year. Maybe cut the tag out of them and stick it in your wallet so you never forget exactly what they are.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Beverley said...

HI

If you ever get down to Taihape which is just south of Waiouru there is a factory shop that sells mostly jeans. We always stop there on our way to Auckland. Last time we brought 4 pairs. 2 each. I am wearing my black , stretch ones as I "speak". So comfy. Levi's as well and the prices are great too. So next year find an excuse to travel a bit and buy your jeans on the way!!

Glad you are feeling happier. We are really a friendly lot you know! Us Kiwis, just have to get out and meet some. How about trying to see if there is a Creative Fibre group in your area. I could try and find out for you if you want?

Hugs

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm your lovely little sister is built the EXACT sme way! mom thinks we are like twins. im just a bit taller and just a bit thicker, but for the life of me i will never get rid of 'the pouch'. thats what i like to call it. haha. have a good one sis!

katie rose

ps. your awful at checking email!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home