i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Ch-Ch-Changes


So this is probably the longest I have gone without posting. Due mainly to the fact that I am working on something that I can't post about...and since I have had to restart/revamp it about 4 times...it is taking allllll of my time. That and the fantastic cooking voyages I have been on. I even made homemade granola bars yesterday. I am very interested in macrobiotics and whole foods and all that so I am trying to learn more and experiment more...and well that would be a whole other blog...

I also I am going thru a bit of transition period right now. Less than a year a go I was working at a fast paced restaurant 40 to 70 hours a week. I lived in my home town (East lansing michigan) in my dads basement. Now...now I live in a remote lake cabin on Lake Okareka in the middle of the north island of new zealand. I don't work more than a day a week (although i kind of like to think of my knitting as "working" towards my future career..heh heh). In the 5 months I have been here i have not made a single friend. (read: Wait I have made a friend! It just happens that she lives in the Netherlands...not New Zealand...and well I haven't exactly met her in person...ok i am making this worse...but she's great..check out her blog by clicking the SAS knits it again button in my sidebar)

The homesickness has set in as just a backthought always kind of lingering. Little things remind me of home...and I miss it. But then I look around...and realize all of the good things I have gained. I think the hardest part of moving so far away...is worrying that you are slowly being phased out. When I first moved the email box was always full, I talked to people more than when I lived at home. But slowly...slowly that tapers off. I get just a spattering here and there. I write people 2 or 3 times with no response. I know it is my responsibility to hold up relationships...I am the one that chose to move. I also know I shouldn't be so dramatic...people are busy. and probably don't have as much time to dwell on these things as I do.

Originally I had a great little story planned of how I don't drink sugar in my tea anymore and how that links up to feelings of self doubt in my knitting. Ah well. Oh and a little lesson I learned the hard way...don't do colorwork in the round...there is actually a reason why they are always written in flat patterns....

Today I am going to focus on getting over my "sluggish" feelings and enjoy where I am right now. Cause lets face it...i live in a pretty freaking amazing place. And I just reread that last line...cheesy enough to spread on a cracker...ouch...gotta stop. Better ones to come...cross your fingers

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Saskia said...

Hey girl!
You rock!
Hang in there! Those kiwi's will find out soon enough that they have a new gem on their island! And then they won't let you go...you wait and see.

You are turning out quite the secret knitter by the way...
I wanna know!
I wanna know!
;-)

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know the feeling of sending several e-mails without hearing back until you finally send one that says something like "Jeez, do I have to start worrying about you? Is everything ok? You're too far away, are you OK???"

But what does a father know?

dad

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger amanda j said...

I hope you can focus on the pros and deal with the cons. I love your blog by the way, and I am sorry you are feeling down! I will check back on you in a couple of days :)

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Your on a wonderful highway in your life.. I used to move every three years and now sitting in one place is kinda diffrent. You learn that you always have your family and your true friend stick to you.. But your in a beautiful country and seeing things/doing things many will never even venture to think. I really enjoy your blog. And I haven't got the slightest clue what Mancala is but I think your game set is very cool looking. : )

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger mle said...

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but I'd give my left arm (ok, maybe my left pinky toe) to live in NZ. I've been lucky enough to visit twice and I'm totally in love with that country! Cool blog too! I saw that you're eventually going to make an Orangina....let me know if you want to do a KAL cause that one is on my list of to-do next. That is, after I finish Fad-Classic and Green Gable!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

andrea! i sent u an email like last week and i have yet to hear back from u missy! my life has completly changed! i miss you more than you can imageine!

katie rose

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Delia said...

sounds like you've had quite an adventure! through the good and the bad, a major change in your life is sure to bring many emotions. Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home