i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Monday, May 22, 2006

Surgeon for a Day


So what do you do when your darling dearest accidentally burns a hole in his (almost) brand new hand knit socks from yours truly?

First off, you can't help but look, I mean feel, a bit hurt...a creation you made has had a possibly fatal wound. Is it fixable? Can you salvage what was once your perfect skinny legs sock? Or will darling dearest have to walk around with one very cold foot?
I began by grabbing a needle and matching yarn and tried to graft new yarn over the burn area. Unfortunately the wound couldn't stand up to the poking and pulling and just began to crumble in my fingers. So then I tried to just sew the hole shut and then I would knit a patch and fasten it over the wound...so I begin stitching, and the slightly burnt yarn I was sewing into, slowly but surely began to tear.
Dooms day thoughts begin enterting my head and I am sure there is no way I am going to be able to fix this poor sock, and I will probably have to knit a whole other sock (which is fine...but I had other projects lined up..). Then luckily a light bulb went off in my head. Hadn't I just seen, the very day before, and episode of knitty gritty where they undid parts of sweaters?? Couldn't I apply the same idea to fix these socks???

So I scrambled to get my neon red yarn to use as a tourniquet and very carefully thread it into one side of each stitch all the way around the top of the burn. I then very carefully snip snip snipped away until I had successfully removed the ankle/foot from the calf.

That having gone smoothly I carefully slipped all of my "new" live stitches back onto the DPN's I had knitted the socks with in the first place. And then went thru the tourniquet procedure again with foot, carefully threading my waste yarn in and then snip snipping away.

With the injury amputated from the sock, it was time to replace the area I had removed. I simply counted how many rows I had cut out, and reknit them straight down from the leg. Easy Peasy!

So now I have the leg to the point I need it, and my foot is ready and waiting...I just needed to reattach them without leaving a big noticable line. So I arranged the leg stitches on to 2 needles, and then the foot stitches onto 2 needles, held them together and used kitchener stitch (3 needle bind off would have worked just as well i'm sure) and voila!

It was an intense procedure, but the sock is back and beautiful and ready to keep JFC's skinny little legs toasty warm. Aren't I clever?

7 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Delia said...

Wow, I am in awe. I don't know if I would have had the balls to go for it. Great job!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extremely clever! And far braver than I :)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Saskia said...

I am at a loss for words here...

OMG! RESPECT girl!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Awesome job - wow! I would have just thrown it out.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That's so awesome. I'm so happy you made it work. *congratsclaps*

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly impressed....Your father must have been an exceptional man to rear such a bright and industrious daughter. He's probably very good looking, too. You're a lucky, lucky girl.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma and Grandpa just got Comcast....lookout...here comes the Gibber!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home