i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Swatch-Buckling Good Time


Well I've had it up to here with swatches! I know they are important, and not to be messed with...but well, they just feel like such a waste of time & yarn...and so boring! Now usually I wouldn't be such a complainer...but here's my problem. So all those ones to the right there (minus the teapot cozy swatch)... I did for the mancala game I plan to make. Now if you look closely you will notice the green one is felted, but the other 2 orange toned ones are not. This is because I made the foolish mistake of not reading the label closely, and only after trying to hand felt them for about 15 minutes, did I realize they had been treated so they are machine washable (=no felting). So I can't use them for the game. So I went and bought more yarn today, which means I will have to do more swatches. In the meantime I just finished up that little black mohair swatch for the "to dye for" sweater out of SnB Handbook. It looks really simple, and with all of the disasters I have had in knitting clothes so far, I am hoping this one is a bit more fool-proof. (speaking of, I plan on frogging the fad-classic tonight so I can begin reknitting it in the smaller size...oy) Now my only worry is after knitting that little swatch, if I pull it one way it is 4 inches across but 5 inches tall, then i pull it the other way and it becomes 5 inches across, 4 inches tall. So do i just go for it and pull it in the hopefully right direction when I wear it? Ah the drama. I also would like to try knitting the pattern from the top down, as my torso is about all of a whopping 3 inches long and everything is always way to long on me..but that equals me rearranging the pattern...and do I really want to do that to myself knowing my previous bad luck history in knitting sweaters??? choices choices...swatches swatches swatches.

3 Comments:

At 2:26 AM, Blogger Saskia said...

hahaha, I can relate, I hate doing swatches. What I do, I make them and halfway I measure. If it looks good, it looks good and then I just unravel them so no yarn is wasted. Talking about compromise...
I'd say, hang in there and go for the sweater. There's no way like learning by trial and error. But that's my humble opinion!... ;-) Godspeed! (love that word, I'll use it even if it's not appropriate and it never is since you're not travelling to the moon...)

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had doing swatches too! I'm guilty of pretty much never doing them. ><' (Bad Foxy, I know!) For my knitting circle blanket squares I have been doing them just so I can have a copy of the blanket, (since 75% of the blanket will be shipped to other people). Sometimes I'll do what Saskia does...

Anyways! Good luck on whatever you decide to do! I'm sure you can make it work! Sas and I are cheering you on! Hehe!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What can i say but Good Luck:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home