i'll knit if i want to...or not

So this use to be my knitting blog, now its a purging place for all of my ramblings...whether it be craft, cooking, or just the craziness of my everyday life!

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Balance

MMM....cupcakes! A few orders have started to come in & so I actually got to do quite a bit of baking the past couple of days. These are probably my favorite cupcakes as far as fancy icing goes! Cookies 'n' Mint Chocolate Cupcakes, wee style! These little guys are the tiny version. We crush vegan mint oreos and fold them into a peppermint buttercream icing. I think I enjoy them so much because they remind me of my sister, Leah's, Mint Oreo Ice Cream Cake she has every year for her birthday.




These are red velvet cake. I have perfected my vegan red velvet 
cake recipe.  To the left are the "sexy" version I had to do for a lingerie party...and below are more wee cupcakes for a birthday party, topped with vegan cream cheese icing.









And last, but certainly not least...the oh-so-simple mini chocolate cupcakes, with peanut butter chocolate buttercream icing: 


Now, I love baking. The endless possibilities, and even more so with vegan baking! I can look at any recipe and then turn it vegan, which is a lot more fun than it sounds, because it is a never ending challenge. And when it turns out just right....*sigh of satisfaction*....its just so rewarding. 

My one qualm with baking? Sugar, flour, baked...it's just not very good for us. Now a little something here or there...sure! But when you are a baker, you
 are constantly surrounded by cakes, cookies, sweet breads...good smells!! Which may sound delightful, but my body doesn't always thank me. The sugar wreaks havoc in more ways than one, namely my blood sugar levels screaming up and then smashing down, and the baked flour is tough on our digestion and very drying!

So in order to be able to still "have my baked, and eat it too" I have started a little experiment. I have always wanted to learn more about unyeasted breads...namely sourdough. So today I finally mixed together my own sourdough starter:

Real sourdough breads are completely digestable and much easier on our bodies. Even better if they are steamed! Which I am hoping to accomplish once I get my hands around just baking up a decent loaf first. 

In the meantime, I am busier now than I was when I had a job! Between baking, cooking for school & cooking at home, staying on top of multiple email accounts and websites...I barely have time to sit down. Which I have to say...is keeping me happy :) I am what one may call a work-a-holic, so hopefully the orders will keep rolling in and I will keep busy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home